Dogs really ARE Miracles with Paws!!

Friday, January 18, 2008

Just a Dog





From time to time, people tell me, "lighten up, it's just a dog,"
or, "that's a lot of money for just a dog."

They don't understand the distance traveled, the time spent, or the costs involved for "just a dog."

Some of my proudest moments have come about with "just a dog."

Many hours have passed and my only company was "just a dog,"
but I did not once feel slighted.

Some of my saddest moments have been brought about by "just a dog,"
and in those days of darkness, the gentle touch of "just a dog" gave me comfort and reason to overcome the day.

If you, too, think it's "just a dog," then you will probably understand
phrases like "just a friend," "just a sunrise," or "just a promise."

"Just a dog" brings into my life the very essence of friendship, trust,
and pure unbridled joy.

"Just a dog" brings out the compassion and patience that make me a better person.

Because of "just a dog", I will rise early, take long walks and look longingly to the future.

So for me and folks like me, it's not "just a dog" but an embodiment of all the hopes and dreams of the future,
the fond memories of the past, and the pure joy of the moment.

"Just a dog" brings out what's good in me and diverts my thoughts away
from myself and the worries of the day.

I hope that someday they can understand that it's not "just a dog",
but the thing that gives me humanity and keeps me from being
"just a man or woman."

So the next time you hear the phrase "just a dog"
just smile...
because they "just don't understand."

by Richard Biby

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Contributing Editor VHD

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey I live in Tulsa. I was one of those people until we got Bear and Ginger. I don't believe in "just a dog" anymore.

Brenda said...

We have hunting dogs and each and every one of them has different personalities and they are such sweeties.

Sandy said...

That was "just great". Thank you.

Alison said...

I love this poem...we don't have "just a dog", we have 4 legged furry family members!!

Kellan said...

Thanks for sharing this - it's very true - isn't it? I loved the pictures too - your dogs are adorable. Have a good weekend - see you soon. Kellan

laurie said...

this is true. they are not just dogs. absolutely not.

Anonymous said...

That is so true. Dogs are such great companions, so fun, such comfort. We love them. Wonderful photos too.

Unknown said...

Chloe and Zippo looks happy and rested. :)

Great poem!

Joy T. said...

Soooo true! I would never say 'just a dog'...and certainly not in the presence of Mushu. I would hurt his feelings.

Anonymous said...

I can relate. If Nika was "just a dog" she wouldn't be with us. But, since she isn't "just a dog" we are looking for a new home for her. However, last week I was ready to get rid of ALL three dogs at our place. But, the kids would probably disown me so I refrained getting rid of them :-)

Hayden said...

yep, well said.

for those who think it's "just a dog" - their poor dog is probably stuck with "just a person" who can't begin to respond to or appreciate them. But, dogs keep on trying to humanize us even when the humans don't notice.