Dogs really ARE Miracles with Paws!!

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Catching Up

Let's backtrack for a minute....Last Friday was the Spa Day I was really looking forward to. It wasn't worth it. Not. At. All. I was not pleased with the service I received. The place is called Waterlily. Years ago, I used to be a regular customer. Well, probably about eight years ago now. I don't know if they have changed ownership, but the place is NOT the same. When I used to go, it was all about SERVICE, and the Customer. Now...it's all about SELLING, selling cosmetics. High priced cosmetics. The moisturizer I bought was $42. The lip smoother was $20. Now, I have nothing against high priced cosmetics. But they told me they were hypoallergenic when I made the appointment. They were NOT. My eyes were not the same for a couple of days! Itchy and red. NOT good. I felt rushed. I will not be going back.

Sunday night was the Oscars. Which I love. They were good. But not as good as usual. I missed some of my old favorites...Julia Roberts, Tom Cruise, Jennifer Aniston, Charlize Theron, Halle Berry, Reese Witherspoon...there were many people I had never heard of. One of them being the one who won Best Actress. She was a French actress. I was surprised the movie, "Away From Her" didn't do better. From the site, Rotten Tomatoes...here's the Synopsis:
Canadian actress Sarah Polley makes an impressive directorial debut with AWAY FROM HER, a film adapted from the Alice Munro story "The Bear Came Over The Mountain." The plot concerns the way in which the 50-year marriage of Grant (Gordon Pinsent) and Fiona (Julie Christie) deteriorates with... [More]
Canadian actress Sarah Polley makes an impressive directorial debut with AWAY FROM HER, a film adapted from the Alice Munro story "The Bear Came Over The Mountain." The plot concerns the way in which the 50-year marriage of Grant (Gordon Pinsent) and Fiona (Julie Christie) deteriorates with the progression of Fiona’s Alzheimer’s disease. Rich scenery, intimate cinematography, and familiar songs like Neil Young’s "Helpless" create a private world of two people enviably in love. Fiona and Grant have carved out a piece of the world for themselves, and have lived together happily in their later years until Fiona’s memory started to wane. The harmony in their lives is lost when Fiona decides she’s reached the point of no return and enters a retirement home in order to take the burden off Grant, though he can think of nothing worse than being away from her. After dropping Fiona off, Grant is forced to not visit for 30 days, which, as he fears, ends up feeling much longer in the mind of a person who is losing her memory. AWAY FROM HER features stunning performances from its leads as well as from Michael Murphy as Aubrey (a patient Fiona forms a close bond with), Olympia Dukakis as Aubrey’s wife, and Kristen Thomson as a nurse at the facility. Instead of treating old age as the winding down of life, this film portrays it as a potentially rich, enjoyable period. Grant and Fiona never yearn for the days of their youth, but rather for the later years when their intimacy had reached a higher peak. While so many films portray older characters in a one-dimensional way, Polley’s film portrays its characters as multifaceted people filled with wisdom and true beauty, thanks to their age and not in spite of it. In my opinion, the disease was portrayed very well and Julie Christie deserves an award for that performance. I couldn't believe "Juno" didn't win! It was such a great movie and to be honest, I think the lead character of that movie should have won! So glad that Diablo Cody won for her writing skills!! She is a terrific writer and deserved that Oscar.

I enjoyed watching the show, and I love watching the Red Carpet Arrivals. My daughter and I spent time yesterday checking out all the Best and Worst Dressed, the fashion faux pas. Fun!!

9 comments:

Kellan said...

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the Spa - that is disappointing!

I was not all that impressed with the Oscars either - I missed all those people too. I too like to hear about the best and worst dressed though - I love that and seeing everyone on the red carpet. It was still a bit fun.

Have a good day - see you later. Kellan

Sandy said...

They ought to just start handing out awards to the best and worst dressed...it would make a lot more sense and be a lot more fun to watch.

ChrisB said...

I can see there are a couple of film I need to see!!

Unknown said...

this was the 1st year i didn't watch the oscars in ages. i wanted to see jon stewart more than anything. oh well, next year.

hope your eye gets better!

Unknown said...

I'm sorry the spa was not as good as it used to be. :( That sucks!

Pam Aries said...

Yeah,,,The Oscars just don't do it for me anymore. THey waste so much time on stupid jokes and lame banter. I love the Grammys. I am sorry your Spa day wasn't up t opar..bummer!

Joy T. said...

Nothing worse then expecting a nice relaxing time at the spa and instead you get pushy sales people. And I never watch the Oscars. For some reason I just can't get into them and I think it's because, like you, I don't recognize or know any of the names. Although you definitely know more then me. So if I ever go to the Oscars? I'm sitting beside you :o)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like my tanning massacre. But at least you weren't doing it because everyone else told you NOT to. I'm stupid like that (and still think it would have been fun if it had worked.

Anonymous said...

That is too bad about the spa. I guess that is what makes me weary of trying it out. I didn't watch the awards, it has been a little crazy here, and today when I was home, I ended up sick in bed all day, except going to town to pick up my daughter. And to drop off eggs at a few places and go to get bleach and milk at the store. Then I went back to bed, read and fell asleep again until Sirdar got home.