Dogs really ARE Miracles with Paws!!

Sunday, January 11, 2009

A Hidden Winter Danger...


Hidden Danger: Keep Your Pet Safe from Electric Shock

Winter’s chill may have settled in your neighborhood, but your energetic pooch still wants to go for walks in the great outdoors. Take it slow and steady, pet parents. According to our experts, the danger of stray voltage on city streets can turn a simple stroll into a devastating event for our furry friends.

Most common in northern climes and urban areas, stray voltage occurs when dormant utilities leak excess electricity. Combined with wet streets and salt-based ice melts, this current can shock, injure or even prove fatal for those in its path. “Since salt used to treat icy streets is a great conductor of electricity,” says Dr. Louise Murray, ASPCA Director of Medicine and author of Vet Confidential, “the risk of shock from stray voltage is that much higher during the winter months.” The ASPCA offers the following tips to help you avoid potentially hazardous areas, and advice on what to do if your pet has suffered an electrical shock:

Keep your dog away from metal fixtures, such as lampposts, grates or manhole covers. While these spots may be your pet’s favorite place to relieve himself, they may also conduct hazardous electricity.

Your dog's snazzy, rubber rain boots may look good, but they won't protect your pooch from a strong current. Don’t depend on them to keep your pet safe. Some boots—those with metal studs, for example—may even make the situation worse.

Observe your dog’s behavior. Is he skittish, frightened, angry or upset for no apparent reason? These sudden behavioral changes could be an indication of electric shock.

If your dog is incapacitated due to shock, don’t try to touch or move him without protective gear. Your pooch may pass the current to you, rendering you both incapable of seeking help. Instead, call your local fire department immediately.
copyright: ASPCA

This post is very close to my heart. Dogs and humans need to be aware of these dangers. My MIL was electrocuted while unplugging her pool heater in her back yard.

9 comments:

Katya said...

I had never heard of this before, Jeanne! What a crazy thing...

How awful about your mother-in-law. Things like that make one not to ever use electricity!!!

Thank you for this timely reminder!

Jeanette said...

I never knew that! I don't have any dogs but I will definitely pass that information to my brothers who do have dogs! I am so sorry about your MIL. What a tragedy!

Brenda said...

Whoa! I wouldn't be taking any walks past my front or back yard if there were electricity to worry about. That's scary!

Hayden said...

Oh Jeanne, what an awful thing about your MIL! Thanks for the tips on keeping our dogs safe, this was a warning I hadn't heard about.

avtcoach said...

Love that little outfit! Our little Abbie still loves her sweater. It is going to be colder this week in OK, we have really had a mild winter. This was a great post!

linda said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


Joyce

http://www.videophonesguide.com

sirdar said...

I have never heard of this before. I see on the net that there is a lot about stray electricity from utilities that kill many types of animals. Almost sounds like they don't follow the NEC (National Electical Code). Thanks for sharing and hope any animal has to suffer through this.

lisaschaos said...

Wow! I never heard of this! Thankfully I keep my dogs in my yard. :)

pet odor removal said...

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I had no idea!