Dogs really ARE Miracles with Paws!!

Sunday, February 1, 2009

Lessons in....Grocery Shopping!

As y'all know, my husband has recently retired and I am in the process of instructing him in the finer things of life...like for instance...how to go about having a "Grocery Shopping EXPERIENCE". Betcha never heard of that?? Well, neither had he. If you read about our mall trip, this is kind of the same thing! I was going about doing my thing and he was just along for the ride....he was supposed to be absorbing this new zenlike experience.

We get to the store and he drops me off at the door and goes and parks the car. I had already picked out the cute little cart! They really ARE cute! He doesn't see it that way.

Then, I cruise over to the coffee bar....which in our particular store, is similar to a Starbucks. I order my special coffee. He rolls his eyes, but orders himself a hot chocolate anyway.

Next up, I take off my heavy winter jacket and gloves as it is below zero outside and I certainly do not need these heavy clothes to disturb my Shopping Experience.

Oops...forgot to mention that I had to request one of those little cupholders for my shopping cart to put the coffee in so it doesn't spill all over while we are enjoying our experience :))

Next, we're off with our list. First stop...the deli. I order a couple of things and while they are slicing the meats, I peruse the flower shop for a quick sec!! OK, back to pick up the deli stuff and we are off to the meat / seafood department...pick out a few things there and then I'm off to the organic department. Needless to say...my husband is lagging behind and seemingly NOT enjoying this whole thing. I try to engage him in conversation, but he's not particularly interested. So, I pick out my Rice Chips and Vitamin Water and head on over to find my favorite Chai. This leads me over to the stationery department. Well. Anyone who knows me knows that I cannot just walk through this department. I have to actually take time to examine the new cards / wrap / ribbons etc.....

Ben's not havin' too much fun at this point. Ok, we are on to the Magazine Aisle! Oh, how I love to check out the latest and greatest!! And they have one HUGE selection of all of the best magazines and books!! So, I'm savoring my coffee as I'm browsing, but only manage to put one in the cart, and figure I better get moving or I have totally lost him!!

The rest of the trip was very similar. I was savoring every single minute. He was looking rather bored and fidgety!

I think he will send me by myself next time.

And you know what??

I'd rather shop alone.

So much for him learning about The Shopping Experience!

Wait til I try to teach him about my Napping Experience...

Give me some credit here people. I have managed to make it ALMOST TWO WHOLE MONTHS!! And we are still speaking.

15 comments:

Brenda said...

Ha! I bet he will let you go alone to savor your experience next time. I hate shopping of any kind but the experience is twice as bad if James goes along. He and Zach manage to find too much to buy!

Unknown said...

Sounds like we could shop together. :) Exceptin' that I kinda think of just stuff, contemplate the world's problems while I shop. :)

Anonymous said...

I am laughing my behind off!!!..my husband is allergic to shopping, and when I try to take him, he's pacing, looking at his watch, asking why I can't just PICK something, and just SHOP for WHAT I CAME TO THE STORE FOR...*sigh* He doesn't understand. Thanks for commenting on my blog, by the way, so far you're my one and only follower..and I sure do appreciate it :-) I'm the one who asked about Beamer's pedigree once...my bailey is the exact same mix, what great dogs they are. As for the old house...BOY do we have alot of work to do. But it's a labor of love..and hopefully not divorce.

Mamarazzi said...

this wa sa tough transition for my parents...sounds like y'all are already ahead of the game!

A Spot of T said...

Gregg loves to go grocery shopping so when he's home I always send him. Now shopping to a mall? Not at all!

Coffespaz said...

I love it!! This is one of my fears if my hubby fully retires. Though I must admit that he is a better shopper than I am! Sounds like you had fun anyway, and I'm sure he will enjoy the Napping Experience better!

Dianne said...

I used to take my ex shopping with me and then I'd let him wander away on his own ...

but he always found me before I left the parking lot ;)

you guys sound just fine :)

Katya said...

What a fun experience! I would say you are more like my Mark, though, as he likes to take his time and look at the new items at the store. I am totally opposite..just rushing about, trying to get the things I need. I am often accused (Can you IMAGINE?) of being a bad shopper because I do not check pricing!!!! My defense? I KNOW what I like, and I ain't buying anything else!!!! Well, it works sometimes!

Happy, happy shopping ahead. I bet he will send you out solo next time, though!

Anonymous said...

What kind of grocery store ? Sounds like my kind of shopping! Anodeman would love this experiene if the grocery store was named Home Depot.

Posted from my iPhone somewhere in northern Texas.

Daryl said...

Oh boy .. I hate shopping with Husband .. he takes charge of the cart and I am the one enjoying looking and then I have to race to find him before he gets to the check out ... he does all the food shopping I only occasionally go along for the walk ..

aims said...

The Man feels that way about me and grocery shopping. I hate it - he loves it!

Lucky for me he does it all!

Joanna said...

God bless you on your new adventure. It's either that or duck here it comes. :)

Robin said...

This cracked me up. My husband is fine grocery shopping on his own (though he invariably leaves off half the stuff on the list and rarely comes home with any little fun extras), but we've had terrible fights every time we've tried to shop together. Apparently we're just not grocery store compatible LOL.

Anonymous said...

I actually don't mind going shopping with Dawn. We don't get a lot of alone time so shopping to me is like going on a date. Sure, sometimes it can be boring, but I don't look at it like boring...I call it quality time :-) I especially like going to Costco....but then who doesn't?

Anonymous said...

Yes, Sirdar likes Costco, but he is not so fond of shopping for other things. I don't do much shopping other than groceries so it isn't too bad.