Dogs really ARE Miracles with Paws!!

Friday, August 13, 2010

Toxic Stuff for Dogs...the top TEN!!!

You name it and dogs can get into it. Some dogs actually seek out things to chew, eat or destroy.
Some of these items are generally non-toxic while other items (including foods) can be highly toxic. Today I want to give you a list of the most toxic items dogs commonly ingest. They include:
  • Chocolate
  • Cocoa bean mulch
  • Cigarettes and cigarette butts
  • Mushrooms
  • Paint balls
  • Potpourri
  • Grapes and raisins
  • Slug bait

  • Some types of chewing gum that contain Xylitol
  • Pennies
  • Yarn, string, ribbon, cassette tape and other similar items

If your dog eats something and you have any doubt about whether it is dangerous or toxic, always call your veterinarian or local emergency clinic.

By the way - the average cost for treating a dog that has gotten into a toxin is $342.65.

6 comments:

Remington said...

Reminders are always great! Thanks!

Brenda said...

Many of those are toxic for humans too. LadyBug is a smart puppy!

jen said...

Great timing on this post! Leroy got into one of the items on that list today, We are posting about it tomorrow:)

Sierra Rose said...

Hi ya!!!! I did the mushroom thing (spent the day at the vet barfing and eating charchol :))....brothers doggie ate a box of See's chocolate candy....no problem.
What we here watch out for is Anti-freeze (in winter) and dental floss our hoomans drop on the floor! Great list, and always good to remind our hoomans to keep us safe :)

Hugs and snaggle-tooth kisses,
Sierra Rose

Elisa @ Globetrotting in Heels said...

I had no idea chocolate was toxic to dogs! We visited Sascha's godmother while on vacation and she said she always shares her ice cream and chocolate with her cat and her dog!

I know.... :-)

Nikki said...

Eli left half a family block of chocolate on the coffee table and we went out... Naughty Lulu got it down and was in chocolate doggie heaven. When we got home there was vommit everywhere (it smelt like peppermint chocolate). We took Lulu to the vet and they said she was ok...and it was lucky that she vommited.