We are so tired of Winter!!
Don't let the dark days and cold nights bring you down.
Most of us lack all-day energy and we find it hard to motivate ourselves to leave our homes and seek adventure. Cold weather along with fewer daylight hours stress us out physically and emotionally.
If the weather keeps us indoors and the darkness causes us to wind down earlier, then we should honor our biorhythms instead of overriding them with artificial light and technology. Let’s perceive winter as an opportunity to turn inward to cocoon and hibernate, before emerging in the spring with exciting new plans and new vibrations. Remember: instead of using artificial light, we can always flick the switch and turn on our inner light.
Here are some tips on warming your heart during the cold weather:
* Exercise: Turn on the music and move. Exercise raises your body temperature and releases happiness chemistry.
* I am a firm believer in a steaming cup of java!! Slow down and relax. The warmth permeates your body. Different flavors contribute to aromatic relaxation, releasing soothing memories. Experiment and discover your favorite de-stressor.
* Take a hot bath: A long hot bath with a cup of chamomile tea added to your bath water is a great muscle relaxant, emotional de-stressor and will please your senses.
* Change up what you eat: Switch to a winter diet of rich stews, hearty food made with beans and root vegetables, and chunky, thick soups to give you extra energy as well as to keep you warm.
* Meditate: Try a candlelight meditation! Sit comfortably and stare at a lit candle for one minute; then close your eyes for 3-5 minutes to see what heart-warming images come up for you.
* Eat fish: Salmon, tuna and herring, walnuts,and omega 3-enriched-eggs. Omega 3s are guaranteed to lift your mood; they are heart smart and brain smart.
* Do some indoor gardening: This time of year, you can plant some spring bulbs in colorful pots and watch them bloom in your home: tulips, crocuses, hyacinths, narcissus and daffodils. Or you can buy bulbs already in bloom at your local supermarket.
* Brighten up your home: Dark winter colors like red, dark green and purple need to be lightened up with their pastel versions to brighten things up!! Consider pillows and fresh flowers, which generate positive energy.
* Start something: Look forward to a weekly theme get-together with friends like book clubs, exercise clubs, art parties and cooking clubs.
* Start your spring cleaning early: Clean out a drawer, a closet, your basement, garage or all of the above and watch your spirit soar. You will discover new space and feel liberated. Home will become a more serene, purer place to nest.
Debbie Mandel, MA is the author of "Addicted to Stress: A Woman's 7 Step Program to Reclaim Joy and Spontaneity in Life" To learn more visit: www.turnonyourinnerlight.com.