Dogs really ARE Miracles with Paws!!

Monday, June 15, 2015

Dog Dangers in the Garden

Dangers in your Garden

Whether bringing your pet to a bed and breakfast or resort that has its own garden (or just beginning your own spring gardening), be careful when you’re letting your pet "smell the roses".

Always watch for groundskeepers spraying pesticides or other materials. Let your pets on to the treated area ONLY after sprays have dried -- or even the next day, suggested the Professional Lawn Care Association of America, based in Marietta, Georgia. Dry granular pesticides being used? Wait until the dust has settled to let your pet roam.

Beyond that, even some common plants are toxic to most animals, according to the American Animal Hospital Association, a Denver-based professional organization for veterinarians. The organization suggests keeping your pets away from several plants, including:

* Avocado
Fatal to birds, this plant's leaves, seeds, stems and skin are considered a cardiovascular toxin. It also can cause kidney or organ failure.

* Amaryllis
A showy flower, whether striped or solid white. Yet, its bulb is considered a gastrointestinal and neurological toxin.

* Autumn crocus (Colchicum autumnale)
These pretty, petite flowers are considered very poisonous, not to mention a cardiovascular and gastrointestinal toxin.

* Azalea
A lovely bush filled with flowers. Yet, it's a cardiovascular, gastrointestinal and neurological toxin for animals.

* Begonia
A pretty flower to people, but potentially fatal to pets. Can cause kidney or organ failure.

* Castor bean
A shrub-like plant with clustered seed pods, this African native is potentially fatal if chewed.

* Foxglove (Digitalis)
One of its nicknames -- Dead Men's Bells -- is a clue that this bell-shaped, tubular flower can be fatal.

* Hydrangea
A hardy, showy shade-loving flower, the plant contains cyanide.

* Jack-in-the-pulpit
Usually found in the woods, this flowering plant can cause kidney or organ failure.

* Lantana
Its clusters of tiny flowers attract butterflies, yet the plant can cause liver failure in pets.

* Lily of the valley
Known for sweet-smelling flowers, yet potentially fatal to pets.

* Oleander
Its pastel flowers make it a popular bush, yet it's very poisonous and can be fatal to pets.

* Philodendron
Big, leafy, green and showy, this plant can cause kidney or organ failure in animals.

* Poinsettia
The famous Christmas plant can bring on dermatitis in animals. It's also a gastrointestinal toxin.

* Rhubarb leaves
Can cause kidney or organ failure in animals.

* Rosary Pea
A slender vine with pea-shaped pods, this plant can be fatal if chewed.

* Scheffelera (a.k.a. umbrella plant)
This leafy green -- and often indoor -- plant can cause kidney or organ failure.

* Yew
A tree or ornamental plant with needle-like foliage, it is fatal to most animals.
Thank you ASPCA!


easy rider said...

thanks for naming the dangerous plants... we have the digitalis this year everywhere, it's like walking through a wood, we had to change our walking route...

Amber DaWeenie said...

I only wish that any nursery or store selling plants would add a label as to its toxic effect on animals. Not a bad idea for young children either. There is always a label for planting and care instructions, so why not add a toxicity label too.

The Daily Pip said...

Great info! I didn't know about several of these

Mitch and Molly said...

Great list of dangerous plants, girls. Thank you!

Two French Bulldogs said...

That's some very important stuff you posted
Lily & Edward

BeadedTail said...

That's quite a list! Our mommy is already a worry wart so we aren't allowed near much of anything!

Ann Thompson said...

I knew about the dangers of some of these but not all of them. Thanks for passing on the info

madi said...

What a pretty collage...especially the you two!
Hugs madi your bfff

The OP Pack said...

Great post, luckily we don't have any of those growing in our yard. Mom did just plant some lily of the valley but OUTSIDE our fenced area.

Thanks for the reminder.

Woos - Ciara and Lightning

harrispen said...

It's good to be reminded of what to stay away from in the garden.

Ruby said...

Oh, well thank Dog that zucchini leaves aren't on the list!!! I've been munchin' on those for weeks!!! BOL
Thanks for the list!!
Ruby ♥

Princess Leah said...

Its quite a worry how many common plants are poisonous to dogs especially when you've got a chewer like me in the family!!!!!
Loves and licky kisses
Princess Leah xxx

Sue Kottwitz said...

Thanks for such a thorough list. Sharing!

Lynn Gaulding Delage said...

Oleander is fatal to any person or per. People have died from using an oleander branch to bbq meat. The whole plant is poisonous.

Jeanne Pursell said...

Glad I could help Sue! It's always a good idea to pass it many people are not aware of all the dangers that are lurking!

Jeanne Pursell said...

It really is quite a worry, isn't it Princess Leah?? Just stick to the safe ones!!

Jeanne Pursell said...

You can eat all of the zucchini that you want to Ruby!! I promise...Zucchini is OK!! :)

Jeanne Pursell said...

I am sure that your husband can tell us lots more!! He is so very knowledgeable about everything out there!! I am pretty clueless unless I really do research and find out what is OK and what's not!! Have a great day Cindy!

Jeanne Pursell said...

Good for your mom! She is very smart to plant them outside of your area!! Happy Wednesday!! xo

Jeanne Pursell said...

Thanks so much Madi and Mom...we are gld you enjoyed our collage! xo

Jeanne Pursell said...

You are most welcome...we have to be two are always wondering through the jungle...that garden!!

Jeanne Pursell said...

If mama did what she wanted to, we would be in little hermetically sealed bubbles!!

Jeanne Pursell said...

You are most welcome!! You two are such good gardeners, you probably were aware of most, if not all, of these!! xo

Jeanne Pursell said...

We sure do agree with you Amber!! There should totally be a warning label!! xo

Jeanne Pursell said...

We have to be very careful too. Up near our cottage, there is a very poisonous root type plant...that is just overtaking the wooded areas!! Be CAREFUL Easy!! xo