Dogs really ARE Miracles with Paws!!

Thursday, August 13, 2015

Something is Bothering Me...



I do my best to keep the girls groomed myself, but occasionally they have to be professionally fixed up!  My groomer that I had and absolutely ADORED moved a bit too far away.  Since Miss Chloe doesn't do very well in the car, it was clear I had to find someone a bit closer to my home.  There are two groomers that I have to choose from within five minutes of home.  Both of them do a good job and I do trust them.

I have been using this one particular groomer for several years now...even though she is not as good as my FIRST groomer...it works out for Chloe's sake.  
I had to go home to get my own hair cut and brought the girls in to see their groomer.  While I was there, I discovered that she now has a puppy.  I was thrilled as I adore puppies!!  When I asked what kind of puppy and how old...she replied that it was five months old and it was a Staffordshire Terrier. Well...she proceeded to explain to me that these dogs are commonly known as pit bulls.  There was another woman picking up her dog at the same time, so we were all discussing this situation.  The woman and I both looked at each other and I just know we were thinking the very same thing!!  

Neither one of us was happy that a pit bull was going to be sharing space with our dogs!!  I do NOT like the idea of my two girls being placed in this situation.  Now, I feel as if I have to totally rethink this and perhaps change groomers again.

I am not at ALL comfortable with leaving my girls when I know that there is a pit bull on the premises.  I do not know if she has the dog in a crate or whether the puppy is allowed to run free in the grooming area.  

Simply put, I do not trust pit bulls.  I know that there are many people that do not agree with my assessment.  I have not had good experiences with this type of dog and neither have many of my friends.  I did not write this post to start an argument, I am simply asking for your opinions.

By the way, I did not let on that pit bulls bother me in any way.  Hopefully, the look on my face didn't give it away!!

What would you do if you were in my situation?  

13 comments:

easy rider said...

If the pup is in a kennel or separated from client dogs, I think it's ok. I feel generally a little uncomfy with a free running pup between the dogs who wait for grooming, no matter what breed it is. Not all dogs like it and some are there the first time and may have fears...

Samantha said...

Oh I agree.
I know people love this breed, but no thanks. I'm terrified of those dogs.

Donna Schandera Staas said...

Just ask her! If she lets it roam free, then smile and change groomers.
hughugs

Two French Bulldogs said...

Heck no. Mom wouldn't leave us either. She thinks we look like a juicy hamburger to a pit bull
Lily & Edward

HuskyCrazed said...

I love Pit Bulls. I have been owned by them in the past, and they are truly amazing dogs. Sweet, well natured, wonderful dogs. I am a huge Pit advocate, but I understand not everyone feels the same way.

ღ husky hugz ღ frum our pack at Love is being owned by a husky!

BeadedTail said...

Pitties can be extremely sweet and well natured but she probably does understand the concern if you were to ask questions about where the dog is when your girls are there. It would hurt her business if people thought her dog would hurt her clients so surely she can put you at ease somehow.

The OP Pack said...

We agree with Donna. It is all about your level of comfort for YOUR dogs. If you ask and find out that their dog, regardless of the breed, is going to be freely roaming the grooming area, then it is your choice to go elsewhere. Any dog can be a problem, not just certain breeds. It all comes down to doing what is best for your own situation.

Murphy Campbell said...

If you aren't comfortable then change groomers. Our mom understands that it isn't the dog, it's the human but she says she will not take chances with me and Stanley.

Your Pals,

Murphy & Stanley

Ann Thompson said...

I would say talk to her about your concerns. If you don't like what you hear then change. Every groomer I've been to has kept all dogs in a cage unless they were being worked on. If she's a professional I would guess that she would take precautions to keep all dogs separated and that would include her own

Whitley Westie said...

I'd find a different groomer, you need to feel comfortable. So ya know where I's coming from, a pit bull puppy attacked my sisfur Finley when she wuz in her own front yard, on a leash. Her daddy had to literally kick the dog off of her. Really scary stuff, luckily she wuz ok.

Kim--Life at Golden Pines said...

I can see you're getting a lot of good thoughts here, and I respect them all, and will add my two-cents or whatever it's worth today. My groomer doesn't have a pit-bull, but she does have a much bigger dog there that makes me nervous around Todd when I bring him in. The dog is nicely socialized, and is actually okay, and I know that my groomer doesn't want any clients dog, to become injured by "Rory" and is very careful. What I would do, is just say to her, when the puppy is there, that you worry about your girls around a young dog and you don't want them or her dog to get into a fight, etc. Not all dogs like young dogs, Todd included, and she should respect and understand that. I'll also add, that I've met some really nicely socialized and friendly pit bulls over the years....

Ruby said...

I think you have to do what makes you feel comfortable. One thing is for sure, if Chloe feels your anxiety, she's going to be more anxious, and that is going to make the situation worse. I say go with your gut. It usually never steers Ma wrong (well, there was that one time....oh, better not talk abouts that....)
Kisses,
Ruby ♥

Hootin' Anni said...

I would agree with everyone's perspective here. Do what YOU feel best for your furbabies. THAT is what's it all about.

http://hootin--anni.blogspot.com